Sunday, April 4, 2010

Adobe update issues

Hi,

Got a system here that won't let me update AE CS4 to 9.0.2. It's a dual quad intel Mac Pro 3,1 10.5.7 We have a few systems with exactly the same configuration and same apps loaded, and upgrading to 9.0.2 wasn't a problem for them.

CS4 installs ok, but when I run Adobe Updater, or download the updates manually from the Adobe site, I get a ''Failed To Install'' error for CSI, Soundbooth, Version Cue and AE. It's AE thats the big problem because of the RED integration with 9.0.2. Photoshop, Illustrator and all the other Adobe Apps update fine

I've uninstalled and reinstalled CS4 3 times using Uninstaller and Clean Script levels 1, 2, 3 and 4, running each level multiple times and tried it after creating new administrator levels. All without any luck.

I have a case going with Adobe for it, and that's been escalated to a senior technician, but even after talking to him I've had no luck.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution for it? Hopefully not having to go back and do a complete reinstall of the OS.

Thanks

Adobe update issues

Have you tried to uninstall every CS4 products you have, including acrobat reader and Adobe Air runtimes, and then tryed to reinstall only CS4 first ?

Looks like a shared componant is messing up with the update.

Adobe update issues

What do the install logs say about the matter? Could you check Library:Logs:Adobe and post the log? I tend to agree with S鑼卋astien that it's most likely some external influence that prevents the update from going through, but it's hard to tell. The one thing that springs to mind is that perhaps some custom data from Version Cue gets in the way, so deleting that might help, but that's just a wild guess...

Mylenium

Hi Sebastien,

I actually thought running all 4 levels of CS3 clean script would uninstall those components, but I'll run it again and double check. Is there any correct order to do an uninstall correctly. I don't use the uninstaller or CS4 clean script. I only use CS 3 clean script and run all 4 levels 4 times as an administrator.

Thanks

Stuart

Hey Mylenium, thanks for the help, here's the log. If I can't get this sorted out sometime tomorrow I'm probably just going to do a complete reinstall of the OS, if I acn get the time.

Thanks again

Stuart

OK, so I just uninstalled everything again, making sure Air and Version Cue were completely gone. This time I only installed After Effects and I'm still getting the same failed to install error when trying to upgrade. I'm attaching the latest log for this install, if you could take a look at it, but I'm thinking I'm just going to start on a full OS reinstall later on today if I can't get it fixed.

Thanks again for your help, I do appreciate it.

Stuart

Well, you have the ominous Uncaught JavaScript Exception disease. From what I gather from your logs, the installer seems unable to resolve a conflict with an existing session key from an older install and thus the whole process fails 5cm before the finish line. I recommend you check the tips offered in this knowledge base article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402151.html. Even if its for CS3, the solutions would also apply for CS4, most importantly checking disk integrity and repairing permissions and running the CS4 Clean Utility. Also run tools like OnyX and have them do some housekeeping. This should also help.

Mylenium

Thanks again for the help, unfortunately none of that helped. This is the one system we upgraded to CS4 before we got a site license and changing over from a standalone seat of CS4 to the site license did cause some problems with this system, so it may be related to that. Like I said, I tried everything in that Tech note, ran all the options in OnyX and also ran the Licensing Repair Tool, but I'm still getting the same errors in the log. I've attached the latest log, although I'm not sure that's going to add anything.

Any other ideas? I'm going to try and avoid doing a complete OS reinstall, but I can only hold off on that until another Red job is booked in here and then we really will need 9.0.2.

Thanks though, I do appreciate it

Stuart

Have you tried talking to Adobe tech support? You may be entitled to free support for installation issues. The link is at the top of the main page for this forum.

Yeah, it got bumped up to a senior technician, but I was told the only thing I could do was create a new admin account, repair permissions and run CS3 clean script in safe mode. Unfortunately, I had tried all those things, except safe mode, before I called.

Just bumping this in case anyone may have any other suggestions. This case is still with customer support at Adobe, it's been bumped to a senior technician, then to a supervisor, it's now been bumped to another department - code writers? - but still no luck. I know I can do a complete OS reinstall, but with all the other apps and downloading OS and app updates, that's turning into a 2 day job.

Unfortunately I can't offer any further guidance. Since the install logging in the 2nd log is as ominous as in the first one, the error is listed as the same. I tend to think I know the little sucker that is the CS4 installer quite a bit, but unfortunately some things are Adobe-internal and in effect this prevents me from deciphering more clearly what's going on and I'm not as hard-nosed on Macs as I'm on PC. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for someone who has access to the super-secret database to pick it up - or simply take the plunge and do that magic reformat.

Mylenium

Thanks Mylenium, I appreciate it, thought I'd give it one more shot. I think that's what I'm going to do, just got to find the time with no clients to do it.

I'm having the same update issues with exactly the same app's. Wondering if anything further has been discovered on this?

Thanks!

Chris Luke

No, nothing. This case has been escalated to a senior technician at Adobe for over a month, every time I call him I'm told I'll hear something in 24-48 hours. That's been over a month.

What a shame. I've gone thru multiple (5) uninstalls, Clean Scripts 1,2,3 - everything - and spoke with support - and still nothing.

Can't justify spending 2 or 3 days to re-install OSX just for Adobe CS4.

Very disappointing.

Thanks for the reply Stuart - and let's keep each other posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment