Friday, April 2, 2010

Flash player performance issues in...

I just bought a new HP pavilion laptop with Vista 64 bit Home Premium, 4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo at 2.1GHz, and the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD graphics chipset. Playback of flash videos from Hulu uses a huge portion of the processing power (over 65%), and the frame update rate seems to dropout during whole-frame transitions (when most of the scene is changing - like a closeup on a moving object, or during a pan). When this happens, a visible horizonal ''line'' of distorted image appears briefly on the screen. This occurs frequently during flash video playback (whenever most of the image is moving) and is more pronounced during full screen playback (when the CPU load is also higher).

As other forum posts have noted, to get flash to work in Vista64, you need to install a 32 bit browser (Firefox in my case) and Vista uses the WOW64 dll to emulate a 32 bit machine. I'm sure this is partly why the CPU load is so high - software emulation is not very efficient. It looks like the system can't keep up with fullscreen motion, even with a pretty fast CPU, 800MHz front side bus, and lots of fast Ram.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else have any experience with the Intel 4500MHD video chipset? I'm suspicious of this lower-end video chipset, though it seems to be used in many different laptops. Is this what we have to put up with until 64bit Flash for windows (and will the 64 bit version fix this issue)?

Thanks

Flash player performance issues in...

I have a 64 bit dell running vista, and the only way that I have found to get control of the power useage was to download player 9 and unload player 10.

This corrects most problems in viewing but not always, there are just some skipping on some movies now.

I hope this helps you.

Flash player performance issues in...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this. Which browser (and version) are you using? My question was as much about the performance of Flash player in a 64 bit environment as it was about the video playback hardware performance. I'm sceptical of the shared video memory and throughput performance of the Intel-based 4500HD graphics package in my laptop. I'm worried that it might not be sufficient for full-screen flash video playback, or for large external displays, so I'm trying to explain the poor platback performance that I'm seeing, and hopefully show that it's not the fault of the video HW.

Which video HW do you have in your dell?

Thanks

I m using internet explore 8 and card is the ATI Radeon hd 3670 - 512mb/2 ,?xps studio lap top

There is one more fix which is software, I use vista ultimate but there is also a ultimate patch software that allows the drivers to run as a 32 bit on a 64 bit hard drive.

I have never tried it myself or where to get.

  • makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment